Subject: Re: Bug in od, cat, etc reading binary files
From: [email-masked]

29 Sep 1997 07:22:21 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

Hi..

>The cygwin32 isn't for compatibility with NT it is to provide a 
>mechanism for which those things that aren't can be ported to the win32 
>environment.

But for what reason?  If you can't use these things with the rest of the
NT world, then what is the point?  Why not just run them in the Unix world
where they are happier anyhow?

>Because of this the cygwin32 layer must try to be 
>compatible to both worlds (which it does, nicely).  The problem isn't 
>cygwin32 it is the lack of tools ported without modification for binary 
>versus text that is the problem.  Therefore remaining in the binary 
>format is not an alternative it becomes necessary.

Yes, well, if the requirements are that you must run some Unix programs on
NT without modification, then using cygwin32 and binary mounts may be the
solution.  However, I believe that the problem may need to be reconsidered
because without the additional requirement of interoperability with the NT
world, why require that it run on NT in the first place?  Just for the
fun of it?

marcus hall
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".