Subject: RE: execvp returns after exec.....
From: [email-masked] (Khosla, Deepak)

29 Sep 1997 07:22:13 -0700
Message-ID: <c=US%a=_%p=COMPAQ%l=[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "'Sergey Okhapkin'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>

You are right; part of the problem was that I was using the Minimalist 
GNU 32 in some cases trying a test to see if I could do without 
cygwin. I guess not.

By the way, if I run tst2 (which execs to mysleep) and I hit a ^C to 
interrupt, I get a dump:

(c:\mingw32\projects\srcbin\mysleep.exe 1000) In cygwin_except_handler 
exc C0000
005 at 1001D0AB sp 240D7F4
(c:\mingw32\projects\srcbin\mysleep.exe 1000) Exception trapped!
(c:\mingw32\projects\srcbin\mysleep.exe 1000) exception C0000005 at 
1001D0AB
(c:\mingw32\projects\srcbin\mysleep.exe 1000) exception: ax 0 bx 0 cx 
64 dx 0
(c:\mingw32\projects\srcbin\mysleep.exe 1000) exception: si 10100 di 1 
bp 240D7F
8 sp 240D7F4
(c:\mingw32\projects\srcbin\mysleep.exe 1000) exception is: 
STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLAT
ION
(c:\mingw32\projects\srcbin\mysleep.exe 1000) Stack trace:
(c:\mingw32\projects\srcbin\mysleep.exe 1000) frame 0: sp = 0x240D628, 
pc = 0x10
005FAE
(c:\mingw32\projects\srcbin\mysleep.exe 1000) frame 1: sp = 0x240D644, 
pc = 0x77
F94512
(c:\mingw32\projects\srcbin\mysleep.exe 1000) frame 2: sp = 0x240D668, 
pc = 0x77
F88EEB

I don't get this when I run mysleep directly and interrupt it. Any 
ideas?

Regards

Deepak Khosla
281-514-9234
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From:	Sergey Okhapkin [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Monday, September 29, 1997 9:23 AM
To:	Khosla, Deepak
Subject:	RE: execvp returns after exec.....

Khosla, Deepak wrote:
> Sergey, That's what I would have expected, but since the PID of the 
> exec'd process is different, it appears both exec & spawn display 
the
> 'fork + exec' behavior. Exec does not replace the current process in 
> strict Unix terms since I get a new process ID!

Cygwin PID remains the same :-) No way in win32 to replace the process 
with a new image. Only new process can be created.

> Why do you think it? The limits for spawn are the same like for 
exec.
>
> I am basing my comments on the _exec* and spawn* function 'man' 
pages
> from Visual C++.

The limits are the same in cygwin.

--
Sergey Okhapkin, http://www.lexa.ru/sos
Moscow, Russia
Looking for a job.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".