Subject: CVS? UWIN? license?
From: [email-masked] (Peter Boncz)

29 Sep 1997 04:25:50 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

Hi,

I've been looking at, and playing with gnu-win32 since
release 15, and think you do a great job! Keep it up!

UWIN?
=====
Lately I saw references to the Uwin project, which seems
to do exactly the same thing as gnu-win32.
(http://www.gtlinc.com/Products/Uwin/Uwin.html).
It's a project done by Korne (ksh) at ATT Bell Labs,
and being commercialized by a company I don't know.

I wonder whether this project was known to you people
(must be, really, but I didn't see references to it at 
web site and other documentation). They have some papers
published at USENIX that might be interesting from the
technical point for you WIN32 hackers.

Uwin doesn't support the GNU tools (stupid..), though
it shouldn't be too difficult for them to add it.
I prefer to work with the GNU stuff since it's good quality
and so nicely  portable. So I stick with gnu-win32.

LICENSE?
========
I used it for porting my research database Monet
(http://www.cwi.nl/~monet) and am wondering what would
be the terms for distributing a commercial WIN32 Monet that 
depends on cygwin.dll. Is it possible, as long as I just 
distribute Monet, and leave installing gnu-win32 to the users 
themselves (a construction a la visual basic), or is this just
impossible due to the GPL? Or would I need the possibly 
upcoming commercial gnu-win32 license (and what would be
the terms, if so)?

CVS?
====
As a closing question, I would like to ask wheter anybody
got CVS up? I use it in a distributed setting (with ssh).
Or I I simply asking too much?

-- 
=== P.A. Boncz ================= phone: +31-20-525 7580 === WCW room
F106 ===
=== (Ph.D. student)              email:
[email-masked]                  ===
=== Magnum Database Project        PGP: finger
[email-masked]     ===
=== University of Amsterdam ====== WWW: http://www.fwi.uva.nl/~boncz/
=======
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".