Subject: Discuss: Environ, Tcl
From: [email-masked] (Tim Baker)

28 Sep 1997 00:43:31 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

Hello kind Masters of Infinite Wisdom (that's you), those who do not
flame the Meek (that's me).

I have been attempting to compile Tcl 8.0 with b18, and have managed to
produce the tcl80.dll and main program, and they run (hooray). However,
the test program fails on some environment-variable stuff. My question
is, which piece(s) of software is in charge of the environ array?

If I create a DLL linked with the cygwin.dll (such as tcl80.dll
mentioned above), I am responsible for initializing the DLL's environ
array, right? This is what I do from the main() of the test program. I
just made the tcl80.dll environ point to the application's environ and
was able to read the environ array from tcl80.dll just fine; but it
bombs when trying to unset an environment variable.

It seems that every cygnus app you write get's its own copy of the
environ array, and this array is created by the cygwin.dll before
calling the application's main(). Right? So if I call setenv() or
getenv(), which are in cygwin.dll, how does it update the application's
environ array? And does the cygwin.dll keep the environ array's of all
linked apps in synch?

Sigh. So many questions.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".