Subject: Re: Follow up to New Question:
From: [email-masked] (Kermit Tensmeyer)

27 Sep 1997 13:28:05 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT
To: Alex <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

> 
> On Fri, 26 Sep 1997, Kermit Tensmeyer wrote:
> 
> > Output of Makefile:

 <deleted for space...>

> >    from this I conclude that somehow the function call 'rexec' 
> >  does _not_ get statisfied to the ident _rexec@24_.
> 
> Right, because it's not supported.  It's probably not supposed to be in
> there.

   In this particular sense, what does "it's not supported" mean?

  rexec is a supplied executible in the NT OS. (rexecD is not 
supported  except in the MS NT Supplement Disk.)

  Rexec, RSH are RFC based protocols that communicate with a server
 The include files include a define for the Protocol.

  I expect that the function is supported but not the server.

>  
> >  so how is gnuwin32 differenet from the orthodox Gnu C compiler?
> 
> It doesn't have a libc in the usual sense.

   You mean it does not? have any default library, that gets auto 
loaded into the compile? It does not have a standard library to 
handle unix standard function calls?

  If it does not support the basic GNU requirments why not? How or
why was it broken?

>  
> >   oh yes, the code was copied from the GNU C for Unix and linked
> >  without explict libraries.
> > 
> >   Under GNU C, rexec and recv are included in the libc.a..
> 
> rexec and recv are both socket functions.
>

   recv is STREAM_SOCK operation in that it reads bytes from a IO
  Stream.  The prior operation connected the output of a socket to 
 an IO stream.

 Rexec is a function

   SOCKET *rexec(char **host, int port, char *UserID, char *PassWD, 
                               char *cmd, FileIOSTream *ErrOutFile);

  which use port 512 to communicate to remote site host.

     the remote service expects
            zero terminated ascii port number of ErrOut Service
            UserID\0
            PassWrd\0
            Command\0

   Socket is used for bi-directional IO stdin/stdout

  I _think_ that recv might be a
> function in wsock32.dll (try running nm or strings on it and/or
> winsock.dll).  I _think_ the functions that need wrappers and that aren't
> in the Win32 api are included in the "libc" a.k.a. libcygwin.a/cygwin.dll.
> I _think_ all the functions that are copied straight over from Win32 dlls
> have their own .a libs.
>

  in either event the calls are not being found in the load.

 so why doesn't the functions 'rexec' or 'recv' find the functions
 in either the explict load or the default libcygwin.a.

  Is there an option in this version of the compiler to show the 
 assembly version of the code? [ Unix, VMS versions of GCC
 use -s]

  What I want to know is how to map names from the C version of
 the file to the library version of the file.

  I assume that   x = fibn(5, 12)  in C or CC

   generates a request for a function _fibn@8   (two parametes on 
   stack)   and it would look for that function in a library.

  alternativly:  an include file might translate a function   xxxx to
 a function like cygnus_xxxx and then a library would supply the
  cygnus_xxxx function which would act in the place of the original
 xxxx function. 
Kermit Tensmeyer
[email-masked]

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".