Subject: RE: splitting this list ?
From: [email-masked] (Ernest Clayton Cordell, Jr.)

27 Sep 1997 12:30:54 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: "'Michael Hirmke'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>

I think your idea is good in concept, but since I'm not the one who has to 
do the work, I defer judgement to those who more directly hold a stake in 
maintaining this list.

Rather than receiving a FAQ on joining, I would suggest a 'FAQ letter' that 
explains that there are resources available to those who are using this 
"environment" for
Installation -- Inst URLs
Builds -- make/compile/install URLs
programming -- pertinent URLs
ports -- some people are interested in "successful ports," others in 
"details to port" (maybe Build/maybe Install)?

but each FAQ really only pertains to the version; while I'm several 
versions and releases behind, I still find the most recent FAQ useful by 
virtue of the items it has included over time.  "Newbies" (in usage of 
Cygwin tools, rather than in DP/whatever experience) may not realize that 
the FAQ at "latest" may refer to problems/solutions that don't apply to 
their particular version/release.

I think it would help to mention such things in the subscription 
confirmation message:  The caveat that people may be too busy to answer 
questions or that 'you have asked a question that is already in a FAQ,' 
endlessly clarified things for me.

The group of inexperienced 'users' (rather than developers) who received 
disks from SAMS publishing (or some such source) are really left without a 
clue.  They need help, but I'm not sure this list is appropriate; since 
SAMS publishing sends them to this list in the first place, maybe it would 
be appropriate to send them back to the SAMS publishing page.

Maybe it would help to include the topics "flame messages," "product 
slurring," and just plain "venting."

Ernie
----------
From: 	Michael Hirmke
Sent: 	Saturday, September 27, 1997 8:33 AM
To: 	[email-masked]
Subject: 	splitting this list ?

Hi *,

just a thought - would anybody support splitting up this list into lets
say "installing", "programming" and "porting" lists ?

It seems, that more and more people use Cygnus' gcc and therefore
especially the installation issues will grow in number the next months.
We already see many questions regarding installation topics in here.

Second idea - it would be great, if anyone joining this list would get
a FAQ, which mentions the most common problems during installation and
configuration !

Any comments ?

Bye.
Michael.
--
Michael Hirmke           | Telefon +49 (911) 557999
Georg-Strobel-Strasse 81 | FAX     +49 (911) 557664
90489 Nuernberg          | E-Mail  mailto:[email-masked]
                         | WWW     http://minimike.franken.de/
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".