Subject: Re: Trivial question (maybe): how to use swedish keyboard with bash
From: [email-masked] (Sven Brueggemann)

26 Sep 1997 12:23:40 -0700
Message-ID: <MSGID_2=3A2426=[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

TW> I then restarted the computer and found that it was possible to
TW> use the shift key  Alt Gr  to type  @${[]}\|  being in bash.
TW> BUT IT WAS STILL NOT POSSIBLE TO TYPE "`", i.e. backward apo-
TW> strophe and "~", i.e. tilde.

Normally you don't need the backward apostropy in bash - simply say  
$(command) instead of `command`.

WIN95 does not seem to handle the dead keys (characters show up after  
typing another key) right. On German keyboards, ~ works fine, but in your  
language it may be a dead key.

What is really annoying is that the non-dead layout-specific keys do not  
work with latest coolview, e.g. the umlauts on German keyboards.

If you really need the keys that are dead in your layout, there is a  
workaround: In Control Panel / Keyboard you can load the English/USA  
language and layout and switch the layouts via hotkey as needed. English/ 
USA layout has another advantage: VI(M) commands are now quite logical :-)

BTW: How do I type national characters such as German umlauts or French  
accented characters on US-keyboards?

regards
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".