Subject: Re: Bug in od, cat, etc reading binary files
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

26 Sep 1997 11:41:35 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]

>From: [email-masked]
>Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 09:41:22 -0600
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: Bug in od, cat, etc reading binary files
>
>> >It seems to me that if one wants to port software into the NT 
environment
>> >then one has no choice but to run the normal way NT programs do 
(without
>> 
>> A. We are not porting to NT, we are porting to the cygwin32 API
>> B. Most Un*x tools expect Binary IO, mounting without -b will break 
many configure scripts
>
>I have to agree with the original poster on this.  What good is the 
cygwin32
>API on NT if it is not compatible with the rest of NT?  If you are 
going to
>only use programs running in the cygwin32 world, then why not just run 
Linux
>instead and get better performance and better compatibility?  If you're
>running NT, it seems that you likely need it to run some other things 
that
>only run on NT, so if cygwin32 is to be useful, it should also be able 
to
>deal with files produced by or intended for these other programs.
>
>Sure, it may be a royal pain to have to deal with the compatibility 
problems,
>and that's probably where a lot of the ugliness of NT comes from, but I 
think
>that that's the reality of the NT world.  If you don't want to be 
compatible
>with the rest of the NT world, why try to run on NT in the first place?
>
>marcus hall
>-

Marcus

The cygwin32 isn't for compatibility with NT it is to provide a 
mechanism for which those things that aren't can be ported to the win32 
environment.  Because of this the cygwin32 layer must try to be 
compatible to both worlds (which it does, nicely).  The problem isn't 
cygwin32 it is the lack of tools ported without modification for binary 
versus text that is the problem.  Therefore remaining in the binary 
format is not an alternative it becomes necessary.

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
[email-masked]
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".