Subject: Re: Bug in od, cat, etc reading binary files
From: [email-masked]

26 Sep 1997 08:55:37 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

> >It seems to me that if one wants to port software into the NT environment
> >then one has no choice but to run the normal way NT programs do (without
> 
> A. We are not porting to NT, we are porting to the cygwin32 API
> B. Most Un*x tools expect Binary IO, mounting without -b will break many configure scripts

I have to agree with the original poster on this.  What good is the cygwin32
API on NT if it is not compatible with the rest of NT?  If you are going to
only use programs running in the cygwin32 world, then why not just run Linux
instead and get better performance and better compatibility?  If you're
running NT, it seems that you likely need it to run some other things that
only run on NT, so if cygwin32 is to be useful, it should also be able to
deal with files produced by or intended for these other programs.

Sure, it may be a royal pain to have to deal with the compatibility problems,
and that's probably where a lot of the ugliness of NT comes from, but I think
that that's the reality of the NT world.  If you don't want to be compatible
with the rest of the NT world, why try to run on NT in the first place?

marcus hall
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".