Subject: Re: GUI Help
From: [email-masked] (Eric De Mund)

26 Sep 1997 05:28:24 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: Eric De Mund <[email-masked]>
To: Mike Ryan <[email-masked]>
Cc: GNU-Win32 List <[email-masked]>

Mike,

    Mike Ryan <[email-masked]> to <[email-masked]>:
    ] I am looking to start programming windows 95 applications, is
    ] using the gnu-win32 a good choice. I want to program GUI
    ] applications like Explorer, or Netscape, or something along those
    ] lines.
    ]
    ] I have no idea how to go about doing this, and am wondering if I
    ] am in the right place.
    ]
    ] I have been using DJGPP and compiling C code for dos, is windows
    ] programming much different?

In the opinion of this Unix developer new to developing under Windows,
yes, it is much different. Check out one of the best introductory
documents I've come across, *Windows 95 Book FAQ*. More than just a list
of books, this page of Scott McMahan's reviews several dozen books in
depth. It lives at <http://lighthouse.softbase.com/~scott/w95book.html>
and is useful to both Windows 95 users and developers. I wish it had
been the first document I'd read upon entering the Windows world.
Sections include: Using Windows 95, Programming Windows 95, Compiler-
Specific Books, Addison-Wesley Win32 Books, The Essential Windows
Additions, and FAQS and Answers.

Regards,
Eric De Mund

"As a child I understood how to give, I have forgotten this grace since I have
become civilized." --Chief Luther Standing Bear
--
Eric De Mund <[email-masked]>  |  PGP Key Fingerprint:
http://www.ixian.com/ead/     |  5349b223 af6c2081 eddd4c81 aac9d1a5
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".