Subject: Trivial question (maybe): how to use swedish keyboard with bash
From: [email-masked] (Tage Westlund)

25 Sep 1997 15:40:33 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

Erik Nyquist wrote:
> 
> I thought it would be nice to have a real shell instead of command.com
> (I am running Windows-95), so I tried bash. The only problem with
> that is my swedish keyboard. I want to be able to use the AltGr-key
> to get characters like $£\|. 

To Erik!
I think this problem is general for most non english speaking countries.
It is now long ago that gnuwin32-b18 was launched. Immediately your
problem was reported in several messages to this list. Soon a patch
was offered by Sergey Okapkin. 
Geoffrey Noer has promised not to forget to include this patch in the
soon coming gnuwin32-b19. Please note the remaining shortcomings 
mentioned below!
I got rid of the problem (most of it) doing the following:
>From  
ftp://niteroi.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/win32/X11R6.3/X11R6.3/b18-patch
I imported the two files  cygwin.dll  and  libcygwin.a

To two locations I copied  cygwin.dll  instead of the old files:
/gnuwin32/b18/H-i386-cygwin32/bin/cygwin.dll
/gnuwin32/b18/H-i386-cygwin32/i-386-cygwin32/lib/cygwin.dll

To one location I copied  libcygwin.a  instead of the old file:
/gnuwin32/b18/H-i386-cygwin32/i-386-cygwin32/lib/libcygwin.a

I then restarted the computer and found that it was possible to
use the shift key  Alt Gr  to type  @${[]}\|  being in bash.
BUT IT WAS STILL NOT POSSIBLE TO TYPE "`", i.e. backward apo-
strophe and "~", i.e. tilde. 
If one has to type those characters, type a script.txt instead
and execute  bash$ bash script.txt  as a "batch file".

Best Regards!

Tage

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".