Subject: RE: "Name mangling", was: pathname conversion
From: [email-masked] (Khosla, Deepak)

25 Sep 1997 13:04:42 -0700
Message-ID: <c=US%a=_%p=COMPAQ%l=[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>

I see a couple of flames flying around today - it's been a while :-). 
I enjoyed Charles' satire on words and IMHO if you are using cygwin, 
you are probably working in both NT and UNIX environments and if you 
get so bent out of shape that a) you can't see humor from fact and b) 
you can't recognize that most popular systems became popular because 
they had some good features, then I hate to look and see how many 
ulcers you have from having to work on the system you despise so 
much!

After that long run-on, here's my side on two hot issues:
-	I have been asked to port a lot of scripts to NT and it would have 
been nice if I could just take them over and they would work. Reality 
is, I am having to use MKS ksh instead of cygwin bash because MKS 
allowed for drive letter (DOS style). They don't handle the '\' but 
that is only an issue if I am reading in DOS type filenames (from 
stdin or another file etc.). That is very isolated and I can handle it 
in a couple of routines. Would have loved to use bash and I understand 
all the purists arguments, but there is no way I could have ported all 
the scripts so easily. This was for a client and on a few machines, so 
price at that point was not an issue. The only adjustment the users 
have to make is that they see '/' in paths in the output logs etc. but 
the drive letters and the input stays the same.
-	Regarding people not doing their own research: when I first started 
looking at cygwin, I tried to find everything I could about a subject 
through the FAQs and the mailing list. I think it would help 
tremendously if a) cygnus had a search engine in front of the archives 
and b) often took a look at the complaints and provide those utilities 
- I bet 40% of the complaints the last few days (and based on the 
archives - the last few months!) have to do with man, less and more; 
put them out there!

Ready to accept flames!

Regards

Deepak Khosla
281-514-9234
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From:	Hauke Fath [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Thursday, September 25, 1997 2:26 AM
To:	Alex
Cc:	[email-masked]
Subject:	"Name mangling", was: pathname conversion

At 19:09 24.09.97 -0700, Alex wrote:
>
>On Wed, 24 Sep 1997, Charles Curley wrote:
>
>> to Wimpdows, and thereby make Wimpdows at least bearable to those 
who have
>> seen the power and flexibility of Unix. The idea was to impose a 
thin
>> veneer of civilization on a barbaric entitity. So they came up with 
a
>> Unix-style pathology to keep Unix programs and tools (and those who 
port
>> them) happy.
>
>It's MS Windows NT or 95.  Slurring Windows is just kinda stupid, as
>Windows could also refer to X .  Unless you can write an os better 
than
>that useable en masse, could you at least spell it right?

First: The X people insist on "X Window" -- get your own technical 
terms
right before you correct others'.

Second: Am I the only one who clearly sees the winking between 
Charles'
lines, even without smileys? Too many humor-impaired people around?

>> I have worked with Linux and HP-UX, and I find risable all the 
hoopla that
>> the small, flaccid company is making over NT 5.0. Symlinks? Mount 
points?
>> Excuse me? But then again, I *wrote* a 32 bit OS before Microsoft 
did, so I
>> have never been impressed with their products.
>
>Then don't use them if you don't like them.  Nobody's holding a gun 
to
>your head to make you use them.  I for one think that while the MS
>products could use a lot of improvment, they do have their place, as 
does
>the Macintosh.

Yah, sure. As if there were OSes to pick from. Does "market share" 
ring a
bell for you? There's this gun called "income".

I'm somewhat strangely moved by Charles' words; it's about the same
situation for me wrt cygwin and NT4.

	hauke

--
Hauke Fath                              Melog Software GmbH
                                        D-69115 Heidelberg
[email-masked]                             Ruf +49-6221-1333-0, Fax -33

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message 
to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".