Subject: Re: any luck with tar on a ZIP drive?
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

25 Sep 1997 06:31:32 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]

>To: [email-masked]
>From: Chuck Bogorad <[email-masked]>
>Subject: any luck with tar on a ZIP drive?
>Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 14:00:32 +0300
>
>
>i have an IOMEGA ZIP-100 drive (scsi). drive letter is "E:". i mounted 
it as 
>/zip for e: and /dev/zip for \\.\e: (just like floppies):
>
>Device           Directory           Type        Flags
>\\.\NUL:         /dev/null           native      no-mixed,text=binary
>\\.\a:           /dev/fd0            native      no-mixed,text=binary
>\\.\b:           /dev/fd1            native      no-mixed,text=binary
>\\.\e:           /dev/zip            native      no-mixed,text=binary
>\\.\r:           /dev/cdrom          native      no-mixed,text=binary
>\\.\tape0        /dev/st0            native      no-mixed,text=binary
>\\.\tape1        /dev/st1            native      no-mixed,text=binary
>c:               /boot               native      no-mixed,text=binary
>d:               /                   native      no-mixed,text=binary
>e:               /zip                native      no-mixed,text=binary
>p:               /maint              native      no-mixed,text=binary
>r:               /cdrom              native      no-mixed,text=binary
>y:               /swap               native      no-mixed,text=binary
>
>when i do a "dd if=/dev/zip ..." it works perfectly allright. but "tar 
cf 
>/dev/zip *" reports "tar: Cannot open /dev/zip: Permission denied". 
"tar cf 
>\\\\.\\e: *" causes a trap. i use b18 + latest Sergey's coolview. 
>
>any ideas?
>
>
>
>-

Try the tar with the /zip mount point.

I believe the /dev/zip emulates the device driver file and can't be 
written to directly.  I may be totally wrong on this so if I am others  
please correct me.

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".