Subject: any luck with tar on a ZIP drive?
From: [email-masked] (Chuck Bogorad)

25 Sep 1997 03:31:31 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

i have an IOMEGA ZIP-100 drive (scsi). drive letter is "E:". i mounted it as 
/zip for e: and /dev/zip for \\.\e: (just like floppies):

Device           Directory           Type        Flags
\\.\NUL:         /dev/null           native      no-mixed,text=binary
\\.\a:           /dev/fd0            native      no-mixed,text=binary
\\.\b:           /dev/fd1            native      no-mixed,text=binary
\\.\e:           /dev/zip            native      no-mixed,text=binary
\\.\r:           /dev/cdrom          native      no-mixed,text=binary
\\.\tape0        /dev/st0            native      no-mixed,text=binary
\\.\tape1        /dev/st1            native      no-mixed,text=binary
c:               /boot               native      no-mixed,text=binary
d:               /                   native      no-mixed,text=binary
e:               /zip                native      no-mixed,text=binary
p:               /maint              native      no-mixed,text=binary
r:               /cdrom              native      no-mixed,text=binary
y:               /swap               native      no-mixed,text=binary

when i do a "dd if=/dev/zip ..." it works perfectly allright. but "tar cf 
/dev/zip *" reports "tar: Cannot open /dev/zip: Permission denied". "tar cf 
\\\\.\\e: *" causes a trap. i use b18 + latest Sergey's coolview. 

any ideas?

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".