Subject: Re: Bug in od, cat, etc reading binary files
From: [email-masked] (Eric Mills)

25 Sep 1997 01:41:37 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

I want to add my comments to the above thread:

>Questions: How do I do these in the GNU-Win32 world? How do I:
>    * set the analog of MSVC++5.0's _fmode
>    * call the analog of MSVC++5.0's int _setmode(int handle, int mode)

Some time back I posted a request with the same questions under "text&binary
modes" and had no replies.

It seems to me that if one wants to port software into the NT environment
then one has no choice but to run the normal way NT programs do (without
the -b mount flag) otherwise your text files will confuse NT programs.
The binary mount is pretty useless: why would one want to run in your
own UNIX world on top of NT when the performance was so poor?
So the only real use for software like gnuwin32 is to move stuff over -
and then one is left with "When in Rome...."
If M$ need _setmode() the gnuwin32 does too otherwise there are things that
you just can't do - mainly fixing stdin/stdout/stderr and pipes because
you were given them in the wrong mode.

Have I got this wrong???

Thanks, Eric Mills.
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".