Subject: "Name mangling", was: pathname conversion
From: [email-masked] (Hauke Fath)

25 Sep 1997 00:59:03 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: Alex <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

At 19:09 24.09.97 -0700, Alex wrote:
>
>On Wed, 24 Sep 1997, Charles Curley wrote:
>
>> to Wimpdows, and thereby make Wimpdows at least bearable to those who have
>> seen the power and flexibility of Unix. The idea was to impose a thin
>> veneer of civilization on a barbaric entitity. So they came up with a
>> Unix-style pathology to keep Unix programs and tools (and those who port
>> them) happy.
>
>It's MS Windows NT or 95.  Slurring Windows is just kinda stupid, as
>Windows could also refer to X .  Unless you can write an os better than
>that useable en masse, could you at least spell it right?

First: The X people insist on "X Window" -- get your own technical terms
right before you correct others'.

Second: Am I the only one who clearly sees the winking between Charles'
lines, even without smileys? Too many humor-impaired people around?

>> I have worked with Linux and HP-UX, and I find risable all the hoopla that
>> the small, flaccid company is making over NT 5.0. Symlinks? Mount points?
>> Excuse me? But then again, I *wrote* a 32 bit OS before Microsoft did, so I
>> have never been impressed with their products.
>
>Then don't use them if you don't like them.  Nobody's holding a gun to
>your head to make you use them.  I for one think that while the MS
>products could use a lot of improvment, they do have their place, as does
>the Macintosh.

Yah, sure. As if there were OSes to pick from. Does "market share" ring a
bell for you? There's this gun called "income".

I'm somewhat strangely moved by Charles' words; it's about the same
situation for me wrt cygwin and NT4.

	hauke

-- 
Hauke Fath                              Melog Software GmbH
                                        D-69115 Heidelberg
[email-masked]                             Ruf +49-6221-1333-0, Fax -33

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".