Subject: Re: pathname conversion
From: [email-masked] (Tibor Polgar)

24 Sep 1997 19:31:22 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0 (generated by tm-edit 7.106)
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
To: [email-masked]

 > I have worked with Linux and HP-UX, and I find risable all the hoopla that
 > the small, flaccid company is making over NT 5.0. Symlinks? Mount points?
 > Excuse me? But then again, I *wrote* a 32 bit OS before Microsoft did, so I
 > have never been impressed with their products.

Yes but were you able to write it as badly as they did and still make a billion
dollars from it? :)

You may be aware that NT has had "symbolic links" since day one, but was only
visible from the device driver level.  Deep down in layer zero NT is a very nice 
object oriented system (hey its a MACH kernel after all).  Its only the WIN32
and NTVDM layers that are messed up due to those compatability issues.

So finally they are letting those object float up to be visible at the user
level. (The shear fact that they are doing it is news to me, where is this
written down?).

Tibor
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".