Subject: problem with /etc/mtab
From: [email-masked] (Gilligan)

24 Sep 1997 15:52:25 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: GNU Win 32 <[email-masked]>

I'm having a bit of a problem getting updatedb/locate working.  I've compiled
new ones, since the ones that come with b18 have some /pizza/* directory
hardcoded in.  For some reason, updatedb is checking /etc/mtab and always gives
me an error about /dev/st1 not existing.  I tried umounting them, removing them
from the registry, but alas it comes back with the same thing.

I'll try and figure out just what the line is in the script, but why is it that
those /dev/st[01] (as well as the floppy devices) are always in there?  I can
understand the compatibility issue, if a unix program accesses /dev/fd0.  When I
did delete them, they eventually came back mysteriously :).  Granted, if people
have tapes or whatever they're probably useful.  What's the reason for forcing
them though?  Would it be possible to have the /dev stuff all behind the scenes
without them in the mount table?

Laters
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".