Subject: Re: pathname conversion
From: [email-masked] (Fabrice.Popineau)

24 Sep 1997 14:10:26 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

Cygnus's goal was to allow Unix programs to run unmodified on NT.
But there is a need too for Gnu utilities to run under Win32, with
Win32 specifics. Emacs was ported and sources include Win32 and Unix
code. Lots of Gnu utils are quite straight forward to compile under
win32 (I have done many of them), using the libc from VC++.
Unfortunately, some things from Unix do not have their counterpart
under Win32. In this case the option choosen by Cygnus was to emulate
the lack. Sometimes, conflicting is important: try to use 'patch' on
a filesystem that is not mounted as binary... Try to open text files
with notepad when they have been created by unix tools ...
Permissions are also odd. I think it would be nice too to cense all
the native ports of free software.

Fabrice POPINEAU
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".