Subject: Re: pathname conversion
From: [email-masked] (Guy Gascoigne - Piggford)

24 Sep 1997 09:46:21 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: "John R. Dennis" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

At 04:45 PM 9/23/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Am I in the minority when I suggest porting includes making the port
>compatible with the target environment?
>
>Please note I am not suggesting removing support for better solutions
>nor am I unappreciative of the fine work Cygnus has done on my
>behalf. I'm just frustrated with using some of the tools because of
>what seems to be a needless incompatibility. I suspect others are in
>the same boat. Anybody else run into this problem?

Actually I agree with you completely, but I'd begun to get the idea that
the Cygnus target wasn't to make the gnu tools compatible with NT, but to
make NT look as much like unix as possible.

It's rather like the case sensitivity of filename completion in bash, I
don't mind if this is an option, but since the file system generaly is case
insensitive I find that it's a real pain when it doesn't work the way I'd
expect.  You only need to take a look at the NT emacs port to see how it
should be done.  Here we have a huge body of code that seems to offer the
best of both worlds, all the unixness that you might expect as well as
actually support for it's NT environment.

That said, I do use the Cygnus tools a great deal, I think that they are a
great project and I really appreciate the work that's been done, I just
think that their target and mine might differ slightly.

Guy
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".