Subject: RE: CP/M -> DOS, was pathname conversion
From: [email-masked] (William M. Mullins)

24 Sep 1997 07:52:32 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "\"[email-masked]\"" <[email-masked]>

64kb of core is more memory than any competent programmer ever needs to
do anything!  We will design the "processor of the future (8088)" to
address memory in several segments of 64kb so as to make the
simultaneous loading of tasks easier for the OS.  In addition, 10 tasks
loaded simultaneously in memory is ridiculous, so the system
architecture can be safely limited to 640kb (an absurdly large number)
without fear of any user ever exceeding the system requirements!  For
developers, the addition of a 10MB hard-disc will provide effectively
infinite storage.

1980 was an exciting time for small computers ... to be able to have
that much power at your finger-tips!

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".