Subject: Re: pathname conversion
From: [email-masked] (Chris Faylor)

24 Sep 1997 07:52:28 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

In article <[email-masked]> you write:
>Asking for help isn't one of my string points, I'll grant; I prefer to try
>and suss things out for myself.

Hi,
That's the right way to do it!  I'm actually getting pretty sick of
all of the posts to the mailing list that are essentially:

"Hi.  I am a newbie and don't know how to use your software.  Apparently
I have to 'down' 'load' it or something but I can't find any documentation
immediately in front of me on the screen so I thought I'd ask for help
because I *do* know how to type."

I think that trying to figure things out for oneself might be a dying
discipline.  It seems that it may be supplanted by blaming the people
who provided you with whatever you're trying to use of not being able
to adequately explain things to you.

Sorry about this rant.  I really just wanted to let you know that I
admire people who try to "suss things out" themselves.  Keep it up! It
probably won't be a trend but in a twenty years or so you might actually
be worshipped for your supernatural ability to figure things out without
begging for help.  Either that or you (and I) will be burned at the
stake...

cgf
-- 
http://www.bbc.com/	[email-masked]			"Strange how unreal
VMS=>UNIX Solutions	Boston Business Computing	 the real can be."
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".