Subject: Re: coolview+less: search dying
From: [email-masked] (Hilton Fernandes)

24 Sep 1997 01:38:32 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT
To: Alex <[email-masked]>, gnu-win32<[email-masked]>,
        [email-masked]
Cc: Hilton Fernandes <[email-masked]>

On 22 Sep 97 at 22:08, Alex <[email-masked]> wrote:

> There's always the Berkely copyrighted regex stuff.  Could someone however
> explain to me in layman's terms what the difference is between GPL and
> LGPL?

Hi!

Good question! This is exactly my main doubt about the GNU project.
And certainly a doubt of many other programmers.

I'd like to ask people that can understand legalese, if any of the
next statements is correct:

- under GPL you can use a software, but not include it in your
  distribution.  If you do, you actually put your software under GPL
  terms and must offer its source code, as well as make it available
  to Internet download.

  For instance, you can compile your software with gcc, but cannot
  include it in your distribution.  Otherwise, your software will
  be GPLed.

- under LGPL (_L_ibrary GPL?), you can include a LGPL software in
  your distribution.  However, if you change -- or enhance -- it,
  your distribution will be under LGPL too.

  For instance, if your software use GNU's libc, there's no problem.
  However, if you correct some bug it may have, your software will
  be under LGPL too.

This certainly isn't totally correct, but i'd like to know how far
from it.

Best regards,
++Hilton
----
Hilton Fernandes
[email-masked]
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/5657
URLs and help on C++ programming and Object-Oriented Design
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".