Subject: Re: gnu-win32@cygnus.,com
From: [email-masked] (Chris Faylor)

21 Sep 1997 16:59:21 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

In article <[email-masked]>,
Alex  <[email-masked]> wrote:
>On Sat, 20 Sep 1997, Bartlee A. Anderson wrote:
>
>> Oh-oh...
>> I smell a kernel somewhere close by....!
>> can anybody say kernel on a string... umm, er thread?
>
>*GRIN* well after seeing a post stating that ps would only recognize
>cygnus processes, I'm thinking it wouldn't be too terribly hard to have
>something create a directory /proc/pid# when a process is created and
>delete it when it is erased, though that would be slow.  Or a table could
>be kept in memory or the registry.

I'm not sure what you mean.  A table is obviously already kept in
memory.  That's how the current version of ps works.  There is a
shared memory segment which contains the process information.  The
first cygwin process to start up creates the segment.

Adding support for non-cygwin processes is not a trivial task.  When a
cygwin process exec's a new program, it actually calls CreateProcess to
start it.  The cygwin pid doesn't change, but the Windows pid, does.  In
fact, it is possible for one cygwin pid to be associated with an
infinite number of different Windows processes.  Of course, in practice
this will never happen because Windows NT will not stay up that long...

-- 
http://www.bbc.com/	[email-masked]			"Strange how unreal
VMS=>UNIX Solutions	Boston Business Computing	 the real can be."
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".