Subject: RE: ps, test, /dev/null questions
From: [email-masked] (Hilton Fernandes)

19 Sep 1997 19:54:25 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <01BCC4E9.E82B7F00@sos>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT
To: Sergey Okhapkin <[email-masked]>, Gnu-Win32 <[email-masked]>
Cc: Hilton Fernandes <[email-masked]>

On 19 Sep 97 at 10:50, Sergey Okhapkin <[email-masked]> wrote:

> NT's built-in task manager will show you all the running processes. Do you 
> know a _documented_ way to enumerate running processes on Windows NT?-)

Hi!

I found a kind of documentation in the the MSVC 4.0 samples in the 
folder 		
	\MSDEV\SAMPLES\SDK\SDKTools\WinNT\PViewer

Here is the caput of its README.TXT

	Sample: Process Viewer

	Summary:

	The Process Viewer sample shows how to read the various bits
	of trivia and statistics from the Registry relating to the
	various threads and process hanging about on your machine.
	It also allows you to muck about with the priority of the
	processes.  There is about a third of the code present to
	do the same on a thread-by-thread basis, so if you feel
	adventurous and/or wish to learn something, feel free to
	flesh those sections out.

A good written documentation can be more enlightening than a 
well-documented code?  Yes, but as far as i could read, this one 
looks good.  Definetly better than nothing. :-)

Since it is for NT only, i could not test it in my machine, which
runs now under Win95 only. :-( 

It seems PViewer is not the same thing as PView, a utility that comes 
with MSVC and runs under Win95.

BTW, in the same directory (or folder) as PViewer there's a tlist 
folder (or directory :-) that contains -- you guessed it -- a task 
list pgm.  It contains a very interesting function GetTaskList(), 
that creates a task list.

Maybe that can help you contribute even more to the gnu-win32
project.

Best regards,
++Hilton
----
Hilton Fernandes
[email-masked]
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/5657
URLs and help on C++ programming and Object-Oriented Design
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".