Subject: the bash builtin command `if test -n ""' (fwd)
From: [email-masked]

18 Sep 1997 11:03:14 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

I have been trying to build and install groff-1.11.  I have found a 
problem with the builtin command "if" with the following syntax:

     if test -n "$(tmac-wrap)"; then \
         for m in $(tmac-wrap); do \
             ...
         done; \
     fi

bash aborts with "syntax error near unexpected token `;'"
.... `if test -n ""; then for m in ; do ...; done; fi

bash shouldn't test the syntax of the "for" command since what is 
being done is a test to see if the "for" command will execute properly.

In the mean time: Any ideas on how to easily modify the Makefile.sub 
for  the "tmac" subsystem to allow "make" to complete?

____________________________________________________________________
Get free e-mail and a permanent address at http://www.netaddress.com

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".