Subject: Re: win32 unix porting project
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

17 Sep 1997 06:29:51 -0700
Message-ID: <Pine.3.07.9709170827.A8368-c100000.cygnus.gnu-win32@login>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: Clive Hudson <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, Clive Hudson wrote:

>         As a very new user to the win32 project I must say that I am
> impressed with the effort that cygnus and others have managed. I must
> also admit to being a tad disappointed with the way things look. I guess
> I was hoping to see a virtual unix clone running under win95. I got the
> bash shell working okay after supplying a  few config details, but it
> still looked like a dos environment. I guess seeing the .exe after files
> names gave the impression away. Is there any way we could remove .exe
> from file names have still have them working in the bash shell.  I
> renamed ps.exe ps and then typed ps while using the bourne shell all I
> got back was a missing dll error message. I guess I shouldn't be
> surprised at that.. Another question is it possible to mount the dir.
> structure so that c:\gygnus32\b18\etc etc. while look like \ inside the
> bourne shell. I admit that I ignorant on this possibility and haven't
> read the docs on this point. I just thought I would ask. Is there also
> work going on the cygnus api to allow ftp and telnet daemons work. I was
> under the impression that a critical system call is missing to allow
> this possibility. Is it also possible to have a /dev dir as well. People
> might wonder why on earth would that  be of any use, considering win95
> deals with all driver issues. However the dev files could just be simple
> pointers to the win95 driver. In effect it would help complete the
> impression of a virtual unix clone. I do realize that this might not be
> the purpose of the cygnus porting effort, but there is great educational
> value in have a virtual unix clone running under win95. It seems to me
> that the cygnus is by far the closest effort to a virtual unix clone.
> 
> 
> Cheers Mako
> 
> -
> For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
> "[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".

Mako,

I believe you need to read more.  Check out the mail archives at
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32.

Let me suggest a few things:
	1) Create a directory which will mimick the UNIX root directory. 
You can call it root, cygnus, unix or whatever you like.  I will refer to
it as rootdir.

	2) Start bash.

	3) cd /gnuwin31/b18/H-i386-cygwin32/bin

	4) ./umount /

	5) ./mount -b c:\\rootdir /

	6) ./mount -b c:\\gnuwin32\\b18\\H-i386\\cygwin32\\bin /bin

	7) ./mkdir /home

	8) ./mkdir /usr

	9) ./mkdir /etc

	10) ./mkdir anything else you would like.

	11) in the /etc directory create a file named "profile".  Put in
it any initial login commands.  You can also create a .bash_profile,
..bash_logout, and .bashrc file in the /home directory.  The next time you
execute bash add the -login switch.  See the bash documents for more
information.

The reason for the "missing cygwin.dll" message is that it needs to be in
a directory in the PATH.  The reason for the ".exe" on the executable
names is so that you can run them from dos.  gnu-win32 will run the
executable without having to type the .exe portion of the name.

The directories from the mkdir above will be contained in rootdir.  I did
this for segregation from the rest of the Win32 directory structure.

 \|-----------|/    [email-masked]
--|Earnie Boyd|--       ** text only please **
 /|-----------|\

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".