Subject: NT/Ada 95 Port
From: [email-masked] (Yuxin Zhao Dr)

17 Sep 1997 02:49:40 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

Dear Sir/Madam,

Last week I sent a question message on the Internet about how and what tools can
be used to port code from UNIX to NT.  All the responses to my question suggest
me to use GNU-WIN32.  

I have looked at both http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32 and
                       ftp://ftp.cugnus.com/gnu-win32/latest.

I also read the GNU on-line documentation and would like to check with you to 
confirm that I can use GNU-WIN32 to do our job. 

Our code is only used to build background executable on UNIX currently.  We have
summerised most of the call of C system routines and MCAST utility.  They are
mainly in the following categories.

1) Spawn of child processes : fork, system, execl ...

2) User or group IDs : getpwnam, getpwid, getgrnam ...

3) IO control        : ioctl

4) Socket IO : socket, bind, accept, listen, send, recv ...

5) File and Directory : open, close, fput, fget, link, opendir, chdir, mkdir ...

6) Pipe IO : popen, pclose ...

7) Signal Handling : sigaction

8) Network addresses : gethostent, gethostbyaddr ...

9) Environment access : getenv, putenv ...

10) Shared memory : shmget, shmat, shmdt, shmctl

11) Multicast daemon developed by the University of California.

It would be very much appreciated if you could either indicate us whether our 
code might be ported easily from UNIX to NT by using GNU-WIN32 directly or with 
some change to our code or point out what might be the problem areas from the 
above list.  

Thanks in advance,

Yuxin Zhao

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".