Subject: win32 unix porting project
From: [email-masked] (Clive Hudson)

15 Sep 1997 18:54:14 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

        As a very new user to the win32 project I must say that I am
impressed with the effort that cygnus and others have managed. I must
also admit to being a tad disappointed with the way things look. I guess
I was hoping to see a virtual unix clone running under win95. I got the
bash shell working okay after supplying a  few config details, but it
still looked like a dos environment. I guess seeing the .exe after files
names gave the impression away. Is there any way we could remove .exe
from file names have still have them working in the bash shell.  I
renamed ps.exe ps and then typed ps while using the bourne shell all I
got back was a missing dll error message. I guess I shouldn't be
surprised at that.. Another question is it possible to mount the dir.
structure so that c:\gygnus32\b18\etc etc. while look like \ inside the
bourne shell. I admit that I ignorant on this possibility and haven't
read the docs on this point. I just thought I would ask. Is there also
work going on the cygnus api to allow ftp and telnet daemons work. I was
under the impression that a critical system call is missing to allow
this possibility. Is it also possible to have a /dev dir as well. People
might wonder why on earth would that  be of any use, considering win95
deals with all driver issues. However the dev files could just be simple
pointers to the win95 driver. In effect it would help complete the
impression of a virtual unix clone. I do realize that this might not be
the purpose of the cygnus porting effort, but there is great educational
value in have a virtual unix clone running under win95. It seems to me
that the cygnus is by far the closest effort to a virtual unix clone.

Cheers Mako

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".