Subject: Re: Win32 Xwin servers
From: [email-masked] (Arlindo da Silva)

11 Sep 1997 20:58:17 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked] (rale)

>       I was wondering if anyone knows of any free or shareware X-Servers
> besides the Mi/X server.  I've been able to compile libXpm and the
> Afterstep Xwin manager with the ported X-libs, but when running
> Afterstep i get errors about the X-Server missing some things.
> 

I am not aware of any other *free* X server. However, there is a fully
functional demo (2 hour limit) from Startnet which is somehwat nicer:

     http://www.starnet.com/docs/xwin32.html 

For a comprehensive list of other commercially available X servers
consult Kenton Lee's page:

     http://www.rahul.net/kenton/xsites.htm

Keep in mind that if what the MI/X is missing are fonts it is
relatively straightforward to install X fonts from any Unix
installation. Take a look at the Micro Images FAQ:

     http://www.microimages.com/www/html/freestuf/mix_faq.htm

  Good Luck!

	Arlindo.

-- 

   *-----------------------------------------------------------------*
   |                                                                 |
   |             ^|^                     ARLINDO DA SILVA            |
   |              |                     212 Lexington Drive          |
   |             _|_                  Silver Spring, MD 20901        |
   |      @  ___|___|__                                              |
   |     _|_|__________|_______/     mailto:[email-masked]     |
   |    \  o o o o o o o  /                                          |
   |     \_______________/             Home: (301) 754-1121          |
   |  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^          FAX: (301) 805-7960          |
   |                                                                 |
   *-----------------------------------------------------------------*

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".