Subject: Re: Default compiler behaviour for b19
From: [email-masked] (Christian Soeller)

11 Sep 1997 14:16:16 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>

Fergus Henderson <[email-masked]> writes:

> Having `gcc' behave in this way makes sense only if the first
> goal is totally abandoned.  But I don't see why we can't have both.
> The second goal is not particularly important to me, but if you want
> it, then surely the sensible thing would be to have two different commands
> (even if one is just a shell script that invokes the other with
> an certain option set).  `gcc' should be the unix compatible version.
> Some other name should be chosen for the Win32 compiler.
> 

How about using an environment variable for this? If the variable is
not defined everything behaves as is. E.g., GCCUSECYGWIN=YES means
link by default and GCCUSECYGWIN=NO gives the opposite. So everybody
can decide what his/her default mode is and command line switches can
be used to override. Sounds to me like everybody should be happy ;)

  Christian
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".