Subject: Re: Running X clients with MI/X
From: [email-masked] (Arlindo da Silva)

11 Sep 1997 01:33:22 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Tony,

> 
> I tried running X clients your created ( like xclock.exe) with MI/X server
> on
> Windows 95 PC. I upgraded to patched Cygwin.dll.
> 
> This is stand-alone PC, no network or modem connections to external 
> TCP/IP network.
> 
> MI/X server starts and runs fine. But all X clients I downloaded from your
> site
> return with error:
> Errror: Can not open display:
> 
> Setting display in AUTOEXEC.BAT to :0, :0.0, localhost:0, etc.
> gives the same error message.
> 
> Sorry for taking your time but I would appreciate some suggestion.
> I have some indications from MI tech support that I am doing something
> very strange but I fail to see what is so strange in wanting to run X
> client
> programs on the same PC where X server is running too? 
> If you would enlighten me ...
> 

I run local clients without having any network connections all the
time.  However, you must have some sort of TCP/IP support installed;
you usually don't get this unless you install some network component.

Do you have dial-up network installed? If not, go ahead and install it
- it will install the tcp/ip support you need in the process. In order
to use MI/X you don't need to start dial-up network, just the software
needs to be installed on your hard disk.

  Good Luck,

	Arlindo.

-- 

   *-----------------------------------------------------------------*
   |                                                                 |
   |             ^|^                     ARLINDO DA SILVA            |
   |              |                     212 Lexington Drive          |
   |             _|_                  Silver Spring, MD 20901        |
   |      @  ___|___|__                                              |
   |     _|_|__________|_______/     mailto:[email-masked]     |
   |    \  o o o o o o o  /                                          |
   |     \_______________/             Home: (301) 754-1121          |
   |  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^          FAX: (301) 805-7960          |
   |                                                                 |
   *-----------------------------------------------------------------*

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".