Subject: Re: SSH
From: [email-masked] (Paul Haas)

10 Sep 1997 15:06:51 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: Paul Haas <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
X-Authentication-Warning: kgbvax.fv.com: uucp set sender to <[email-masked]> using -f
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

I haven't gotten cvs/ssh to work on Windows 95.  It mostly works for me on
NT.  

On Wed, 13 Aug 1997, Bilbo Baggins <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> I am trying to compile SSH, the 1.2.20 dist, and there are a lot of
>> problems.

> it basically went without a hitch.. cpl of minor complaints..

On NT, I got the configure script to work under b18, and the compile to
work with Sergey's August 10th patched library.  It doesn't work for me on
Windows 95.  

Ssh doesn't work for me with Sergey's September 7th version of cygwin.dll,
on Window's 95 it can't find the controlling terminal, which isn't too
surprising, ps can't find it either.  Ps reports -1 for ttys.  Is it
really broken, or did I just install it wrong?

> scp: doesnt seem to work.. havent had time to check into it (compiled
> fine)

For me, on NT, scp works for downloads from a Unix host, but not for
uploads.  The first part of the protocol on a syntacticly correct upload
is sending a single byte with the value 0.  This gets stuck in the pipe or
socket code.  If you try to upload to a nonexistent directory or similar
error, you'll get a non-zero byte, which makes it through the sockets
correctly, but then the copy fails.  

On Windows 95, ssh seems to work, scp uploads still don't work, and
sometimes scp downloads fail at exit time.  That is to say, the command
works correctly, but the system gets confused when it exits.  Sometimes
I have to reboot the system.

My ultimate goal is to cvs working on Windows 95 using ssh.  I've got it
working on NT.  Sometimes it works on Windows 95, but sometimes it dies,
just like scp.  That is, it does the right thing, but doesn't manage to
exit correctly.  Is this a problem with the waitpid() call at the end?
--
Paul Haas [email-masked]
I've been reading this list using the website,
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32 

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".