Subject: Default compiler behaviour for b19
From: [email-masked] (Anthony Wesley)

6 Sep 1997 15:11:46 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.01Gold (Win95; I)
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Perhaps I am misreading the comments on the gnuwin32 home page, but it
looks like Cygnus are proposing to have "gcc -o foo foo.c" generate
native win32 binaries by default and not link with cygwin.dll. To
compile UNIX-ish tools and link with the cygwin.dll library you will
have to supply an extra command line option.

This seems silly to me, and the wrong way around. After all, gcc and all
the nice tools and development environment came from the UNIX land, so
surely generating UNIX-ish binaries should be the default, making
porting UNIX applications and tools the native mode, whereas generating
pure win32 binaries should be the "foreign" mode.

It would be really strange to have "gcc -o foo foo.c" not work as
expected by people coming from the UNIX world. I realise that this
behavious could be covered up (eg have an environment variable to select
the mode, or put it in the gcc compiler-options file) but I believe that
it would still be the wrong attitude by Cygnus to do this.

Just my AUS $0.0215 worth .. :-)

Anthony
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".