Subject: Re: Has anyone attempted to port Apache?
From: [email-masked] (Jeremy Blackman)

1 Sep 1997 18:24:42 -0700
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: IGnatius T Foobar <[email-masked]>
Original-cc: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

On Sat, 30 Aug 1997, IGnatius T Foobar wrote:

> Has anyone attempted to port the Apache webserver to the GNU-Win32
> environment?  One would assume that it would be a _much_ nicer option than
> Micro$oft's IIS.

Apache 1.3 has their own official port to WinNT and 95.  From what I hear,
it compiles and runs rather nicely.  Instead of forking off additional
services like the UNIX version, I understand that it actually operates as
a multithreaded single server process. 

Their version comes as Microsoft Visual C++ 5.0 projects, however.  This
means, among other things, that it doesn't need the cygnus winsup DLL to
run.  It also means to compile the source code, you need MS VC++...

Take a look at http://www.apache.org and read up on Apache 1.3... :)

+---[ Loki ]------------+---------------------------------------------------+
| Jeremy Blackman       | NeonMuck coder/maintainer - Multimedia MU*!       |
| [email-masked] | http://www.maison-otaku.net/neon                  |
+-----------------------+---------------------------------------------------+

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".