Subject: Re: Off topic filesystem question
From: [email-masked] ("William A. Perkins")

29 Aug 1997 20:56:29 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
In-reply-to: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: Joseph Arceneaux <[email-masked]>
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

>>>>> "Joe" == Joseph Arceneaux <[email-masked]> writes:

    Joe> This is not really a cygwin question, so I must apologize in
    Joe> advance. 

    Joe> I have a Unix file system which I'm trying to render onto a CD.
    Joe> The CD burner only runs off a Windows system (or potentially,
    Joe> NT).  The Question is how to preserve the many softlinks in
    Joe> the file system so they appear properly on the CD.

    Joe> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Joe> Joe

Joe,

I have done this successfully by first making a ISO9660 image using
mkisofs on the UNIX system (in my case Solaris and SunOS) first, then
copying the image to the PC and burning the CD there.  Here are some
helpful links to check out:

   * Linux CD-Writing <http://www.shop.de/~winni/linux/CD-Writing/>
     discusses the use of mkisofs.

   * Golden Hawk Technology <http://www.goldenhawk.com/> has some free
     software which will burn a CD using an image, if your software
     won't do it.

   * mkisofs source can be found in any of the Linux archives one
     place would be
     <ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/packages/mkisofs/mkisofs-1.11.tar.gz> 

I have successfully compiled mkisofs under cygwin32-b18 (on Win95) by
defining NON_UNIXFS, but it won't make a good image.  isovfy and
isoinfo work under cygwin32 though.  I didn't put much effort into
finding the problem. Has anyone else had any luck?

Hope this helps.

Bill
-- 
Bill Perkins
Battelle Pacific Northwest Laboratories
Environmental Technologies Division, Hydrology Group
P.O. Box 999 MSIN K9-36
Richland, Washington, USA  99352
voice: (509) 372-6131 fax: (509) 372-6089 email: [email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".