Subject: GNU-C compiler failure
From: [email-masked] (Daniele Alberto GALLIANO)

20 Aug 1997 23:02:10 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.01Gold [it] (Win16; I)
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Dear sirs,
    I tried Your latest release of Cygnus-Win32 (b18), and I encountered
a
problem.
	I followed carefully Your installation instructions, environment
settings included.
	When I tried to compile the most trivial C program, I get a crash of
the compiler, while an older version (I changed, because I needed
mmap()) is able to
compile on the same machine (960712).
	I include a few details in the following.
	Looking forward for Your kind reply,
							Daniele Alberto GALLIANO

>uname -a
CYGWIN32/NT PC-BORCHIA_4 4.0 17.5 i586
>type hello.c
#include <stdlib.h>

main ()
{
  printf("Hello, world!!\n");
  exit(0);
}

>gcc -v hello.c
Reading specs from
C:\gnuwin32\b18\H-i386-cygwin32\lib\gcc-lib\i386-cygwin32\cyg
nus-2.7.2-970404\specs
gcc version cygnus-2.7.2-970404

C:\gnuwin32\b18\H-i386-cygwin32\lib\gcc-lib\i386-cygwin32\cygnus-2.7.2-970404\c
pp.exe -lang-c -v -iprefix
C:\gnuwin32\b18\H-i386-cygwin32\lib\gcc-lib\i386-cygw
in32\cygnus-2.7.2-970404\ -undef -D__GNUC__=2 -D__GNUC_MINOR__=7 -Di386
-D_WIN32
 -DPOSIX -D__CYGWIN32__ -DWINNT -D_X86_=1 -D__STDC__=1
-D__stdcall=__attribute__
((__stdcall__)) -D__cdecl=__attribute__((__cdecl__)) -D__i386__ -D_WIN32
-D__POS
IX__ -D__CYGWIN32__ -D__WINNT__ -D_X86_=1 -D__STDC__=1
-D__stdcall=__attribute__
((__stdcall__)) -D__cdecl=__attribute__((__cdecl__)) -D__i386 -D__POSIX
-D__WINN
T -Asystem(winnt) -Acpu(i386) -Amachine(i386) -Di386 -Asystem(unix)
-Acpu(i386)
-Amachine(i386) -D__i386__ -Asystem(unix) -Acpu(i386) -Amachine(i386)
hello.c C:
\temp\cc001000.i
(unknown) In cygwin_except_handler
(unknown) Exception trapped!
(unknown) exception C0000005 at 1000C981
(unknown) exception: ax 418BA0 bx 241FB4C cx A90B0 dx 0
(unknown) exception: si 11 di 36383369 bp 241FB60 sp 241FB3C
(unknown) exception is: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
(unknown) Stack trace:
(unknown) frame 0: sp = 0x241F970, pc = 0x10002A68
(unknown) frame 1: sp = 0x241F98C, pc = 0x77F94072
(unknown) frame 2: sp = 0x241F9B0, pc = 0x77F88A53
(unknown) frame 3: sp = 0x241FA3C, pc = 0x77F75E82
(unknown) frame 4: sp = 0x241FB60, pc = 0x10001958
(unknown) frame 5: sp = 0x241FF94, pc = 0x10001ECF
(unknown) frame 6: sp = 0x241FFA0, pc = 0x4118D5
(unknown) frame 7: sp = 0x241FFB0, pc = 0x40103B
(unknown) frame 8: sp = 0x241FFC0, pc = 0x77F1AFC1
(unknown) frame 9: sp = 0x241FFF0, pc = 0x0
(unknown) End of stack trace
(unknown) In cygwin_except_handler
(unknown) Error while dumping state (probably corrupted stack)
gcc: Internal compiler error: program cpp got fatal signal 2

This is what I got from the older compiler:
>gcc -v hello.c
Reading specs from
C:\gcc\H-i386-cygwin32\lib\gcc-lib\i386-cygwin32/cygnus-2.7.2
-960712/specs
gcc version cygnus-2.7.2-960712

C:\gcc\H-i386-cygwin32\lib\gcc-lib\i386-cygwin32/cygnus-2.7.2-960712/cpp.exe
-l
ang-c -v -iprefix
C:\gcc\H-i386-cygwin32\lib\gcc-lib\i386-cygwin32/cygnus-2.7.2-
960712/ -undef -D__GNUC__=2 -D__GNUC_MINOR__=7 -Di386 -D_WIN32 -DPOSIX
-D__CYGWI
N32__ -DWINNT -D_X86_=1 -D__STDC__=1
-D__stdcall=__attribute__((__stdcall__)) -D
__cdecl=__attribute__((__cdecl__)) -D__i386__ -D_WIN32 -D__POSIX__
-D__CYGWIN32_
_ -D__WINNT__ -D_X86_=1 -D__STDC__=1
-D__stdcall=__attribute__((__stdcall__)) -D
__cdecl=__attribute__((__cdecl__)) -D__i386 -D__POSIX -D__WINNT
-Asystem(winnt)
-Acpu(i386) -Amachine(i386) hello.c C:\temp/cc001000.i
GNU CPP version cygnus-2.7.2-960712 (80386, BSD syntax)
#include "..." search starts here:
#include <...> search starts here:

C:\gcc\H-i386-cygwin32\lib\gcc-lib\i386-cygwin32/cygnus-2.7.2-960712/../../../.
../../include

C:\gcc\H-i386-cygwin32\lib\gcc-lib\i386-cygwin32/cygnus-2.7.2-960712/../../../.
../i386-cygwin32/include

C:\gcc\H-i386-cygwin32\lib\gcc-lib\i386-cygwin32/cygnus-2.7.2-960712/include
End of search list.

C:\gcc\H-i386-cygwin32\lib\gcc-lib\i386-cygwin32/cygnus-2.7.2-960712/cc1.exe
C:
\temp/cc001000.i -quiet -dumpbase hello.c -version -o C:\temp/cc001000.s
GNU C version cygnus-2.7.2-960712 using the Haifa scheduler
(i386-cygwin32) comp
iled by GNU C version cygnus-2.7.2-960712.
 as -o C:\temp/cc0010001.o C:\temp/cc001000.s
 ld
C:\gcc\H-i386-cygwin32\lib\gcc-lib\i386-cygwin32/cygnus-2.7.2-960712/../../.
../crt0.o
-LC:\gcc\H-i386-cygwin32\lib\gcc-lib\i386-cygwin32/cygnus-2.7.2-960712
-LC:\gcc\H-i386-cygwin32\lib\gcc-lib\
-LC:\gcc\H-i386-cygwin32\lib\gcc-lib\i386-
cygwin32/cygnus-2.7.2-960712/../../.. C:\temp/cc0010001.o -lcygwin

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".