Subject: Re: Microsoft Foundation Classes
From: [email-masked] (Eric Britten)

18 Aug 1997 23:55:25 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.01 [en] (Win95; I)
Original-To: [email-masked]
X-Priority: 3 (Normal)
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

> Is it possible to use MFC 4.1 using gnu-win32?  If so, how?
>

If you can get the source and compile it, I would say yes.  I compiled
OWL 2.0 a few months ago and wrote a simple program that worked.  OWL is
a class library that is different from MFC, however I did cut out the
multithreaded functionallity.  OWL does not use any compiler specific
keywords.  You only need templates and exception handling.

As long as GCC supports all the syntax conventions of MFC you can
compile it.  I know is uses a special keyword called afx_msg; it is used
for window message handling.  I am not sure if there is a work around
for this keyword.  This is your biggest problem to overcome.

You need the source because VC++ and Borland C++ use a different name
mangling conventions.  If you can get the source to compile, you can
then create static and dynamic link MFC libraries.  DLLs with GCC are
hard to create, I have had little luck with them.

> ____________________________________________________________________
> Get free e-mail and a permanent address at http://www.netaddress.com

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".