Subject: Beta 19 status
From: [email-masked] (Geoffrey Noer)

17 Aug 1997 00:53:08 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Cc: [email-masked] (Geoffrey Noer)
X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL23]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

We just imported bash 2.01 into our local sources so it will be included
in beta 19.  I haven't seen any problems with it yet and having working
job control is great.

I've appended the beginnings of the history doc with changes since b18.
It isn't all there yet, but for those of you who are curious...  Also
my current best guess is that beta 19 will be out in September.

A fair amount of work is being done on the Win32 side of things right now
(converting gcc to default to not linking in the cygwin.dll, handling
..exe extensions better during the build process, etc...).  So beta 19
will happen as soon as everything settles down a little.

-- 
Geoffrey Noer
[email-masked]

--------------------------------------

@item Release Beta 19 (Probably September 1997)

This is a major release.  The new cygwin.dll is still
backwards-compatible with previously linked applications but
contains significant changes.

The PE format definition now matches Microsoft's more closely.
This should allow better interoperability with other vendors'
development tools.  This change invalidates all previously
built object (.o) and static library (.a) files so be sure to
delete/rebuild old .o and .a files you are using!

@subsection Changes in specific tools:

We have upgraded some of the utilities.  GNU-Win32 now includes
bash 2.01, textutils 1.22, and gawk 3.0.3.  Bash under Cygwin32 now
includes working job control among other improvements.

Ian Lance Taylor wrote a resource compiler called "windres".
It can be used to compile windows resources from a textual rc file
into a COFF file.  The sources for it are part of the binutils
package.

@subsection Changes in the Cygwin32 API (cygwin.dll):

Old symlinks are also invalidated by this release.  The "system"
attribute is now used to mark symlinks which significantly speeds
up fstat and other file related calls.  Either recreate old ones or
set their "system" attribute flag so they will be recognized properly.

The following is now supported:

* pseudo-ttys

The following calls have been added:

* ptsname, grantpt, unlockpt
* login, logout, ttyslot
* wait3, wait4
* setitimer, getitimer
* cfg(s)eti(o)speed
* initgroups (stub), getgroups
* sexecve, sexecl, sexecle, sexeclp, sexeclpe, sexecv, sexecp, sexecvpe
* pause
* getpgid, killpg
* strlwr, strupr
* ftime
* fpathconf

The bsearch call has been rewritten.
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".