Subject: Problem compiling/linking large number of object files.
From: [email-masked] (Richard Stanton)

16 Aug 1997 01:10:37 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0 (generated by tm-edit 7.106)
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

I'm using GNU make with the emx C compiler under NT (I've just
switched from OS/2, and like having executables that will run under
either OS). This may not be make related, and may be a generic NT
problem, but it looks like there's a maximum command line limit or
something that I'm running into. For example, while all the .o files
compile OK, here's what happens when I try and link them all together:

  cd c:/projects/sbir/
  make -k np2f.exe
  gcc -o np2f.exe -Le:/lib np2f.o parse.o matrix.o nonpar.o nrutil.o matstat.o constant.o sort.o locate.o quantile.o powi.o indsort.o 
  make: execvp: gcc: Invalid argument
  make: *** [np2f.exe] Error 127

If I just delete the last file in the list (actually, there were
originally lots more than this, but I deleted them until I got to what
seems to be a critical point), it compiles fine (except for the
missing symbols...):

  cd c:/projects/sbir/
  make -k np2f.exe
  gcc -o np2f.exe -Le:/lib np2f.o parse.o matrix.o nonpar.o nrutil.o matstat.o constant.o sort.o locate.o quantile.o powi.o 
  np2f.o: Undefined symbol _phrtsd referenced from text segment
  np2f.o: Undefined symbol _setall referenced from text segment

  etc.

Any idea what the problem is here? It compiles fine under OS/2, if
that makes any difference.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Richard Stanton

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".