Subject: Running winNT/95 programs...
From: [email-masked] (Narayan Natarajan)

15 Aug 1997 23:35:51 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
X-Sender: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Light Version 3.0.1 (32)
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Hi,

I read a previous thread on running wNT/95 programs through an intermediate
program. I am just a little confused. Why go through all the trouble when
there is a "start" command in both w95 and NT? I have had no problems
running any windows stuff through "start".

For example: my alias for start on winnt:

alias start='cmd /c start '

and on win95 there is an actual executable start.exe, so no alias reqd.
once set the following works just fine.

start <filename> --- starts associated program in windows.
start <command>  --- works so long as path is visible

I also have vi (elvis) aliased as:
alias vi="start vi" 
so that it comes up in a separate window.

Narayan
| Narayan       _/~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~/
|Natarajan    _/ [email-masked]  http://www.netcom.com/~venkman1 _/
|           _/ (810)-475-0667                    .       .____ _       _/
|         _/ "The heavens call to you, and *   .     x  -(____/ |  _  /
|       _/ circle about you, displaying to      ________/____/  \ ( )-----
|     _/ you their eternal splendors, and     ,/                _ ( -------
|   _/ your eye gazes only to earth."        <________\       //  (_)-----
| _/                    -- Dante           --<==  *    |_____/  _
|/                                                    -(_____) (_)-----
|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".