Subject: Re: Debugging info for commercial linkers?
From: [email-masked] (Jason Zions)

8 Aug 1997 17:14:43 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.0 (WinNT; I)
Original-To: Tim Iverson <[email-masked]>
Original-CC: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

While porting gdb to OpenNT, we've discovered that the MS compilers and
gcc generate local variable debug information differently; that is, even
if you tell MSVC to generate COFF-compatible debug information, it still
outputs debug information for local vars in non-COFF form. It seems
likely that your PharLap linker is expecting MS-form debug data and
isn't finding it in a gcc-generated .o file.

Alpha-test versions of gcc and g++ for OpenNT are available from
http://www.opennt.com in the tools warehouse (under Support). As soon as
we're confident we did the port right, the source code diffs will be
made available there as well. Of interest: our port of gcc/g++ correctly
generates code for NT on DEC Alpha hardware.

Jason

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".