Subject: Default alignment?
From: [email-masked] (Tim Iverson)

8 Aug 1997 01:08:53 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-To: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL25]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

I need to change the default alignment for all structures and unions from 4
bytes to 2 bytes.  Is there a handy -falign=2 option?  I didn't see one in
the info files, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

I also tried #pragma pack(2) -- it would be fairly easy to just put that
into the top level headers.  However it doesn't seem to work here, even
though MSC supports it and gcc does too on Unixen that have it.

It is simply too large a task to go and mark every structure and union with
__attribute__ ((aligned (2), packed)).  Naturally, I'd prefer not to
rebuild GCC just to add a new -f option.  Anyone got some good news for me
on this?  ;-)

Thanks,

- Tim Iverson
  [email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".