Subject: Beginner's Question: history command
From: [email-masked] (Narayan Natarajan)

7 Aug 1997 22:49:37 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
X-Sender: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Light Version 3.0.1 (32)
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Hi,

My installation of bash does not seem to read the ~/.bash_history although
it writes to it each time I quit bash. I tried therefore to initiate the
history by:
history -r ~/.bash_history
to see if it loads the existing history and this failed.

I did read the faq's and man pages etc. nothing seems to have any more info
on this.

Any help appreciated.

Also, I realize that my question may not be of a sufficiently "techie"
nature to be answered or even read, and so I would like to know if there is
another mailing group which may be less techie where such unfortunates as
me may recieve some help.

Narayan
| Narayan       _/~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~/
|Natarajan    _/ [email-masked]  http://www.netcom.com/~venkman1 _/
|           _/ (810)-475-0667                    .       .____ _       _/
|         _/ "The heavens call to you, and *   .     x  -(____/ |  _  /
|       _/ circle about you, displaying to      ________/____/  \ ( )-----
|     _/ you their eternal splendors, and     ,/                _ ( -------
|   _/ your eye gazes only to earth."        <________\       //  (_)-----
| _/                    -- Dante           --<==  *    |_____/  _
|/                                                    -(_____) (_)-----
|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".