Subject: Re: local paths and cd //<RootdriveLetter> i.e cd //g not working
From: [email-masked] ("Larry Hall (RFK Partners Inc)")

7 Aug 1997 11:15:36 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
X-Sender: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Pro Version 2.2 (32)
Original-To: Jerzy Schubert <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

At 12:04 PM 8/7/97 +0200, Jerzy Schubert wrote:
>local paths seems not to work correctly, see below ls /usr vs. ls usr
>form within /
>also staying in f.e. /usr/local/sbin
>and doing cd //g
>then ls gives still the contents of /usr/local/sbin
>( //g hapened to be / )
>after that cd ..; ls gives  the contens of the root directory
>
<snip>

Jerzy,

Try making a /usr directory, for example.  I think you'll find "ls usr" 
works OK then (I can't tell for sure because I'm at work with only b17
and it only kinda works here).  Keep in mind that the basis for all of
these tools is a UNIX environment.  In UNIX, you cannot mount a 
directory to a location without creating that location first.  The
Cygnus version of mount is a little peculiar in that sense since it
doesn't require the mounting directory to exist first.  Regardless,
the tools will require that the files and directories you give them
exist.  If what you type matches the mount point exactly, Cygnus will
resolve it anyway.  Otherwise, you need to provide the structure to 
make it work.  Symbolic links may be another way to solve this 
problem...

Larry Hall                      [email-masked]
RFK Partners, Inc.              (617) 239-1053
8 Grove Street                  (617) 239-1655 - FAX
Wellesley, MA, 02181

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".