Subject: Re: Assembler
From: [email-masked] (Reuben Collver)

6 Aug 1997 16:08:35 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-To: <[email-masked]>
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Priority: 3
X-Mailer: Microsoft Internet Mail 4.70.1155
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

> I am interested in learning assembly language.  I know this is almost a
> completely dead language, but I find it intringing.  I have two
> questions:  First is their any assembler included in the b18 release, or
> any unix gnu assembler that could be ported(please include a link if it
> has already been done or any other programs that might serve the same
> purpose) and Secondly, any literature that you could point me to as a
> good starting point.  I know that this request is a little bit of a
> deviation from our normal topic, but I beg you to show me a little
> patience and help me.  Thanks to you all...

The gnu assembler 'AS' is included with Cygnus gnu-win32, as well as the
DJGPP package.  You can download a GREAT and complete book on assembly from
the net.  The book is oriented toward intel syntax and DOS, however it is
still a great reference.  The llink seems to be down right now, but I used
it a coulpe days ago.  You can download it in adobe acrobat or postscript
format to print a neat looking hardcopy, or you can browse the html
formatted one.  Here is the URL:
http://webster.ucr.edu/Page_asm/ArtOfAsm.html

The GNU assembler uses AT&T assembler syntax.  NASM, a free assembler you
can get from the net, uses INTEL syntax.  NASM also produces coff, obj,
elf, a.out, and pure binary output.  COFF is useful if you wish to link
with code for djgpp or cygnus gcc.  The URL for NASM is 
http://www.cryogen.com/Nasm

If you want some pointers for using AT&T syntax, look at the Brennan's
reference for inline assembly with DJGPP:
http://www.rt66.com/~brennan/djgpp/djgpp_asm.html

hope this was helpful,

Ben.
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".