Subject: Re: Assembler
From: [email-masked]

6 Aug 1997 09:45:19 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-CC: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

>Lastly, if you're going to learn Intel assembly, DO NOT USE GAS!  Use
>just about any other commercial or PD assembler instead.  Gas was never
>intended for humans, though it can be made to serve if you preprocess
>with cpp and/or m4.  It's syntax is also different than every other Intel
>assembler in existence.  Your knowledge won't carry anywhere.

Although gas was not originally intended for humans, I feel I should
mention that it now supports macros, conditionals, and other helpful
constructs, so it can now be reasonably used for hand assembly code.

The gas ix86 syntax is not like MASM or Intel assemblers, but it is
(or should be) identical to that accepted by AT&T style ix86
assemblers, including those used on all ix86 Unix systems I know of.
However, I agree that you'll be better off using some other ix86
assembler.

Ian
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".