Subject: Re: cdk.exe install problem
From: [email-masked] (Jeremy Blackman)

4 Aug 1997 23:13:02 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
Original-To: Michael Scheer <[email-masked]>
Original-cc: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

On Mon, 4 Aug 1997, Michael Scheer wrote:

> I downloaded the beta18 cdk.exe.  The installation fails early on with 
> the following error from installshield: 
>  
> "The decompression of %s failed.  There may no be enough free disk
> space in the TEMP directory."
> 
> But I've got over 700 meg free in the volume holding $TEMP.  Ideas?
> Thanks.

I oughtta make a template for this sort of reply. ;)

[deep breath, into rehearsed speech]

Having had to build one too many InstallShield setups at my workplace, I
can tell you that this is a bug in InstallShield, not a bug in Cygnus'
installer.  If you have more than a certain number of files in your TEMP
directory - or if you have files named the same thing InstallShield wishes
to name its files (probably from past runs of other InstallShield
install scripts) which it cannot, for some reason, write over -
InstallShield will fail.  And not gracefully, either - this failure is
indicated by that dialog box you mentioned. :)

Clearing out your TEMP directory entirely should do it - that will get rid
of both any files with conflicting names, and the potential 'too many
files' problem. :)

[out of rehearsed reply]

Hope that helps!

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".