Subject: an x environment
From: [email-masked] (Steve o)

4 Aug 1997 21:46:36 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.02Gold (WinNT; U)
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Hi,
Having recently been transplanted from an X environment to 
winnt, I am homesick and wish to recreate my old desktop.

My plan was enabled when Sergey ported rxvt, well, not just
ported but added a much needed /dev/tty interface.  wow.

fvwm2 ported without a hitch.

xemacs was quite a different story.  I managed to get 
temacs.exe to compile, but only after I hacked out what seemed
like a very useless, and very system dependent code, called 
unexec.c.  Turns out, to my surprise, temacs reads itself 
and dumps out an executable copy, all via unexec.  hmm.

I poked around, looked at what emacs-19.34 did, tried a
couple things, but really, I was out of my leaque.  Are .exe
files in COFF format, or elf?   What happens in crt0.o that
has to be accounted for?  Can I mix the Win32'isms in unexnt.c
with the un-adulterated xemacs code?  Maybe I could lift
some .exe generating code from ld?

So for now I've given up, but maybe by posting this,
some guru will become intrigued and, while waiting for
a compile, will patch unexec.c and casually mention 
it in an email to this list.

As a side note, I used "configure i386-cygwin-linux" to 
get configure to work.  This got me thinking that since the 
cygwin API is apporaching that of Linux, it may be possible 
to write a loader that could execute native linux binaries 
under cygwin, a la the WINE project only reversed. 

Imagine, the whole Red-hat distribution ported to cygwin,
and no .exe extensions...

-steve
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".