Subject: cygwin.dll concurrency bug?
From: [email-masked] ("Jason V. Robertson")

31 Jul 1997 14:13:50 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Hi,

We're seeing a problem when two instances of any of the cygwin32 tools are run
at the (almost) exact same time.

For instance, putting two msdos windows side by side with "env" on the command
line, and hitting enter in both (as soon as humanly possible) will dump the
exception below.

This is with b17.1, b18, and with Sergey's patched cygwin.dll.  Is this some
type of dll initialization problem?  This sounds like a "well, then don't do
that" kind of problem, but we're running into situations where multiple tools
will be starting at the same time quite frequently.

Any ideas, or is this a known bug?

Thanks,
Jason

--- bug (the env in the other window ran fine) ---
H:\ch\usr\intel\i386_nt40\bin>.\env
(H:\ch\usr\intel\i386_nt40\97r1\bin\env.exe 1000) In cygwin_except_handler exc C
0000005 at 10012E3F sp 240F070
(H:\ch\usr\intel\i386_nt40\97r1\bin\env.exe 1000) Exception trapped!
(H:\ch\usr\intel\i386_nt40\97r1\bin\env.exe 1000) exception C0000005 at 10012E3F

(H:\ch\usr\intel\i386_nt40\97r1\bin\env.exe 1000) exception: ax 1F bx 1 cx 240F1
64 dx 0
(H:\ch\usr\intel\i386_nt40\97r1\bin\env.exe 1000) exception: si 0 di 240F0C4 bp
240F078 sp 240F070
(H:\ch\usr\intel\i386_nt40\97r1\bin\env.exe 1000) exception is: STATUS_ACCESS_VI
OLATION
(H:\ch\usr\intel\i386_nt40\97r1\bin\env.exe 1000) Stack trace:
(H:\ch\usr\intel\i386_nt40\97r1\bin\env.exe 1000) frame 0: sp = 0x240EEA4, pc =
0x1000D3E8
(H:\ch\usr\intel\i386_nt40\97r1\bin\env.exe 1000) frame 1: sp = 0x240EEC0, pc =
0x77F94512
(H:\ch\usr\intel\i386_nt40\97r1\bin\env.exe 1000) frame 2: sp = 0x240EEE4, pc =
0x77F88EEB
(H:\ch\usr\intel\i386_nt40\97r1\bin\env.exe 1000) frame 3: sp = 0x240EF70, pc =
0x77F76266
(H:\ch\usr\intel\i386_nt40\97r1\bin\env.exe 1000) frame 4: sp = 0x240F078, pc =
0x100239BC
(H:\ch\usr\intel\i386_nt40\97r1\bin\env.exe 1000) frame 5: sp = 0x240F094, pc =
0x10037768
(H:\ch\usr\intel\i386_nt40\97r1\bin\env.exe 1000) frame 6: sp = 0x240F0A4, pc =
0x100376A2
(H:\ch\usr\intel\i386_nt40\97r1\bin\env.exe 1000) frame 7: sp = 0x240F104, pc =
0x10034757
(H:\ch\usr\intel\i386_nt40\97r1\bin\env.exe 1000) frame 8: sp = 0x240F114, pc =
0x100366D4
(H:\ch\usr\intel\i386_nt40\97r1\bin\env.exe 1000) frame 9: sp = 0x240F13C, pc =
0x1002EA34
(H:\ch\usr\intel\i386_nt40\97r1\bin\env.exe 1000) frame 10: sp = 0x240F170, pc =
 0x1002EA5D
(H:\ch\usr\intel\i386_nt40\97r1\bin\env.exe 1000) frame 11: sp = 0x240F180, pc =
 0x40127E
(H:\ch\usr\intel\i386_nt40\97r1\bin\env.exe 1000) frame 12: sp = 0x240F1A0, pc =
 0x1000C604
(H:\ch\usr\intel\i386_nt40\97r1\bin\env.exe 1000) frame 13: sp = 0x240FF94, pc =
 0x1000C617
(H:\ch\usr\intel\i386_nt40\97r1\bin\env.exe 1000) frame 14: sp = 0x240FFA0, pc =
 0x4021D9
(H:\ch\usr\intel\i386_nt40\97r1\bin\env.exe 1000) frame 15: sp = 0x240FFB0, pc =
 0x40103B
(H:\ch\usr\intel\i386_nt40\97r1\bin\env.exe 1000) End of stack trace (more stack
 frames may be present)
(H:\ch\usr\intel\i386_nt40\97r1\bin\env.exe 1000) In cygwin_except_handler exc C
0000005 at 100225CB sp 240EE88
(H:\ch\usr\intel\i386_nt40\97r1\bin\env.exe 1000) Error while dumping state (pro
bably corrupted stack)

--
 Jason Robertson <[email-masked]>
 Ph: 552-0065
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".